Northminster Presbyterian Church is joyful and alive in Christ!
We seek to offer the grace and love of Jesus Christ in word and deed.
We strive to be faithful and centered in God’s Holy Word.
We’re a multigenerational, multicultural, dynamic, evangelical Presbyterian church that is passionate about serving in Christ’s mission. We feature a variety of worship services from traditional to contemporary to interactive to African! Four unique services – one relevant message!
Who We Are: “Joyful and Alive in Christ!”
We plant seeds of hope through our worship and work.
Worship is our ultimate priority, a celebration of God’s love and presence in our lives. Worship is a verb – we are called to be praise-givers, not simply pew-sitters. As stated in Ephesians 1:12, we have been “destined and appointed to live for the praise of his glory.”
We branch out in faith to grow as Christians and care for one another in the name of the one “Who first loved us.”
God gives us his Spirit as Comforter. God also uses our struggles and pains to help heal others. Our bonds with one another, through classes, counseling, visits and prayer are a real link with God’s healing power. We are called to share in the work of the Holy Spirit – coming alongside others and bringing the hope and wholeness of Jesus Christ.
We are sent to bear fruit of the love of Christ in Tucson & beyond.
We have a story to tell! God, through Christ, has offered the hope of wholeness and salvation to all. We desire to share the love of God through Christ in both word and action. Acknowledging God’s passionate concern for the lost, the least and the lonely, we work for justice, health and peace in our community and world. Acknowledging the loss of persons outside of Christ, we proclaim the good news of God’s love and lead others into a saving relationship with him.
What about you?
How do you fit into all of this? This is an amazing question that could lead to even more amazing answers! We are all on a meaningful spiritual journey with the living God. Many here in our church are right now exploring and stretching as they find their role and special way to grow and fit in and serve.
If you are seeking … wondering … or just trying to figure things out – welcome! We’d be happy to help you as we journey together. Sometimes, folks are simply ready to join the church and jump right in. If that’s the case, let me share with you…
What do I do to become a member of Northminster?
The joyous good news is that Jesus Christ invites all who believe in him to unite with God’s people and to declare their faith and hope for life. Everyone who believes in Jesus Christ has already entered the Kingdom of God in a special way. To be a member of Northminster, a person must profess faith in Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior.
New member “Christianity 101” classes are scheduled throughout the year – these are a good way to learn the basics of the Christian faith and to become acquainted with our church and its ministries. New members are publicly received and welcomed during our morning worship services. The Sacrament of Baptism, for infants and adults, is an important sign of God’s love and nurture in joining the family of faith.
If you are interested in learning more about joining Northminster, please contact us.
A Brief History of Northminster
After having its first service in July 1951, Northminster Presbyterian Church was officially organized on November 4, 1951 by the Presbytery of Southern Arizona under the auspices of the Board of National Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the USA. With just 44 charter members, services were held in the Gertrude Cragin Elementary School.
In 1954, the church bought the land we own today and started upon a three-phase plan to build a campus. On July 10, 1955, the congregation held its first service in the new Fellowship Hall. In September 1958, the Christian Education Building (now known as the Administration Building) was first used. And on December 20, 1970, our beautiful sanctuary was dedicated.
Northminster continued to grow through the years and, in 1986, the Multipurpose Building was erected. This building allowed much needed space for a small kitchen, church nursery, library, a conference room and two other meeting rooms.
By the end of summer, 1998, construction on a new, single-story 6,900 square foot Children’s Christian Education Building was completed. This building contains eight classrooms, one office and our church nursery and preschool. These multiple-use rooms were designed to accommodate all our children’s program needs from Sunday school to preschool and kindergarten.
The facility opens onto a courtyard geared to children and family activities, including a playground and shaded area for all-church activities.
Several rooms in the Multipurpose Building, including the library, which moved to the Fellowship Wing, were redesigned and became home to Northminster’s growing Youth Ministries. Just south of the Multipurpose Building are the volleyball and basketball courts and a shaded recreation ramada.
Our Growing With God campaign was the foundation for funding our Roy A. Johnson Memorial Pipe Organ. It was installed December of 1998. This beautiful new instrument has answered many great musical needs and inspires us in singing and giving glory to God.
- The Reverend Newton White, III served as our Stated Supply Pastor from July 8, 1951 to November 4, 1951 and then was installed as our first Pastor on March 1, 1953 and served until August 31, 1959.
- The Rev. R. Bruce Crowell was appointed as Assistant Pastor in 1959 and served Northminster during our first interim period from August 1, 1959, to February 1, 1960.
- The Rev. Dr. Richard F. Rowley served from February 1, 1960 until his retirement in July 1993 and is now Pastor Emeritus.
- The Rev. Russell C. Owens served our congregation as Assistant Pastor from the summer of 1971 until his resignation in October 1973.
- The Rev. Dr. Mark L. Koehler served as Interim Pastor from August 1993 through September 1994.
- Our Pastor and Head of Staff, the Rev. Dr. Andrew G. Ross, came to Northminster on September 1, 1994.
- The Rev. Kenneth D. Skodiak joined the staff as Associate Pastor on September 10, 1995.
- The Rev. Peter Seiferth was installed as an Associate Pastor on February 13, 2005.
- The Rev. John Cheek was installed as Designated Associate Pastor on August 21, 2005 for a term of three years, and then installed as Associate Pastor on a permanent basis on September 14, 2008.