After having its first service in July 1951, Northminster Presbyterian Church was officially organized on November 4, 1951 by the Presbytery of Southern Arizona under the auspices of the Board of National Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the USA. With just 44 charter members, services were held in the Gertrude Cragin Elementary School.
In 1954, the church bought the land we own today and started upon a three-phase plan to build a campus. On July 10, 1955, the congregation held its first service in the new Fellowship Hall. In September 1958, the Christian Education Building (now known as the Administration Building) was first used. And on December 20, 1970, our beautiful sanctuary was dedicated.
Northminster continued to grow through the years and, in 1986, the Multipurpose Building was erected. This building allowed much needed space for a small kitchen, church nursery, library, a conference room and two other meeting rooms.
By the end of summer 1998, construction on a new, single-story 6,900 square foot Children’s Christian Education Building was completed. This building contains eight classrooms, one office and our church nursery and school. These multiple-use rooms were designed to accommodate all our children’s program needs from Sunday school to preschool and kindergarten. The facility opens onto a courtyard geared to children and family activities, including a playground and shaded area for all-church activities.
Several rooms in the Multipurpose Building, including the library, which moved to the Fellowship Wing, were redesigned and became home to Northminster’s growing youth ministries. Just south of the Multipurpose Building are the volleyball and basketball courts and a shaded recreation ramada.
Our Growing With God campaign was the foundation for funding our Roy A. Johnson Memorial Pipe Organ. It was installed in December of 1998. This beautiful instrument has answered many great musical needs and inspires us in singing and giving glory to God.